Send cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org, or apply online by clicking the button below.
Alliance for Justice seeks a Director of Development to provide overall direction, coordination and implementation of the organization’s fundraising operations. As a member of the senior management team, the Director of Development will work closely with the President, staff and board to raise an annual budget of $5 million (and growing) and increase the organization’s capacity to grow and diversify its funding base. The Director of Development will have at least seven years’ senior development and management experience and demonstrated success in raising high dollar foundation and individual donor support. The right candidate is an energetic, strategic and entrepreneurial development professional who is passionate about the Alliance for Justice’s mission of justice for all. The Director of Development reports to the President.
Overall strategy for fundraising, including:
- Establishing solid, yet ambitious, fundraising goals and overseeing implementation of strategies to achieve those goals,
- Designing an annual work plan and financial projections for a comprehensive development program that includes foundation grants and individual donor programs,
- Tracking and evaluating progress against fundraising plans and projections,
- Expanding the nationwide individual donor program with an emphasis on major donors and planned giving,
- Expanding the base of prospective donors through collaboration with program and communications staff, the President, board members and others,
- Conceptualizing and teaming with program directors and President to develop foundation proposals,
- Overseeing annual fundraising luncheon in Washington, DC, as well as development events in Washington, DC, New York and elsewhere,
- Systematizing and expanding a small direct mail and online fundraising program, and
- Overseeing the development of promotional materials for donors.
Day-to-day management of development department, including:
- Supervising development team, which includes: individual donor manager, foundations relations manager, two development associates, database manager and intern,
- Ensuring the creation and implementation of the overall development calendar,
- Refining and overseeing AFJ’s donor stewardship program,
- Overseeing management of prospect research, databases, records, files, gift processing and acknowledgements,
- Collaborating with communications team to develop consistent messaging,
- Managing fundraising consultants,
- Overseeing and maintaining fundraising budget, and
- Providing regular financial reporting to President.
Active participation in organizational leadership, including:
- Working with President on board strategy and organizational management priorities,
- Participating in senior management team meetings,
- Regularly engaging President, board members, program staff and others in donor cultivation and solicitation of funds, and
- Reporting regularly to the President and as requested to the board of directors.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, plus at least seven years as a senior development manager as well as demonstrated fundraising success,
- Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of progressive donor community (individuals and foundations) and progressive issues,
- Proven success in securing high dollar foundation and individual donor support,
- Demonstrated skill in managing development staff and systems,
- Excellent persuasive writing and editing skills,
- Well-developed interpersonal and organizational skills,
- Proven entrepreneurial abilities, creativity, initiative and energy to expand funding base,
- Proven problem solver and strategic thinker,
- Ability to work in a team environment,
- Willingness and ability to travel as necessary, and
- Commitment to organization’s mission.
Send cover letter, resume and salary history to email@example.com, using the subject line: Alliance for Justice.
Alliance for Justice is an equal opportunity employer.