Director of Development
The Alliance for Justice seeks a Director of Development to provide overall direction, coordination and implementation of the organization’s fundraising operations. The Director of Development is responsible for increasing the capacity of the organization to raise money and expand its funding base. S/he reports to the Executive Vice President and works directly with the President.
Overall strategy for fundraising, including:
- Designing an annual work plan and financial projections for a comprehensive development program that includes foundation grants and individual donor programs,
- Conceptualizing foundation proposals,
- Designing individual donor program with an emphasis on major donors,
- Expanding supporter universe through collaboration with program and communications staff, the President, board members and others,
- Creating a plan and calendar for annual fundraising event and other fundraising events and activities,
- Creating a small direct mail and online fundraising program, and
- Overseeing the development of promotional materials for donors
Day-to-day management of development department, including:
- Supervision of development staff which includes: an individual donor manager, a foundations relations manager, a development assistant, a database manager; and consultants,
- Overseeing overall development calendar including foundation calendar,
- Overseeing donor stewardship program,
- Overseeing and maintaining fundraising budget,
- Working in coordination with the Director of Strategic Partnerships,
- Establishing and overseeing fundraising goals and activities, and
- Regular financial reporting to President and Executive Vice President.
Active participation in organizational leadership, including:
- Working with President and Executive Vice President to determine board strategy and organizational management priorities,
- Participating in senior management team meetings,
- Regular engagement of President, board members, program staff and others in donor cultivation and solicitation of funds, and
- Reporting regularly to the President, Executive Vice President and the Board of Directors Development Committee; and as requested to the Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, plus 10 years demonstrated fundraising experience,
- Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of progressive donor community (individuals and foundation) and progressive issues,
- Proven success in securing high dollar foundation and individual donor support,
- Demonstrated skill in managing staff and systems,
- Excellent persuasive writing skills,
- Well-developed interpersonal and organizational skills,
- Proven entrepreneurial abilities, creativity, initiative, and energy to expand the funding base,
- Ability to work in a team environment, and
- Commitment to organization’s mission.
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: AFJ – DD.