AFJ’s Bolder Advocacy program advances and protects the role of nonprofits in influencing public policy by helping organizations fully understand the legal rules governing advocacy activities and become assertive in their right to pursue their policy goals. By tracking and responding to legislation that affects nonprofit advocacy, fighting for the rights of nonprofits and foundations to conduct advocacy, and responding to potential threats to nonprofit advocacy, we lay the groundwork for more nonprofit organizations to advocate effectively on behalf of their communities. AFJ is headquartered in Washington, DC, with offices in Oakland, Los Angeles, and Dallas.
Alliance for Justice (AFJ) seeks a full-time, experienced Program Coordinator, based in our Oakland office, to provide a wide range of administrative and programmatic support of a highly responsible nature for AFJ’s offices in Northern California and Southern California as well as AFJ’s headquarters in Washington, DC, and Dallas, TX office, as needed. The position reports to AFJ’s Southern California Director. The successful candidate will use his/her initiative and creativity in managing and prioritizing his/her workload. The position may occasionally require travel, primarily within California, to support program events. This position is non-exempt under California and federal wage and hour laws.
- Provides direct administrative support to AFJ’s Bolder Advocacy program in its Oakland, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Washington, DC offices, with primary responsibility for the California offices.
- Collaborates with DC-based program assistant on implementing systems for data management, program metric collection, and grant reporting of technical assistance, workshop participation, and outreach for Bolder Advocacy nationwide.
- Manages technical assistance phone and email “hotline” together with DC-based program assistant to ensure those who contact us are routed to an attorney in a timely fashion.
- Handle workshop requests from initial inquiry, through negotiating fees, providing logistical support, and working with Director of Administration to assist with invoicing process.
- Assist with data entry of technical assistance and workshops using Excel, Salesforce, SalsaLabs, GoToWebinar, and Qualtrics.
- Manage and coordinate logistics for workshops, fundraising events, film screenings, and public events conducted by AFJ’s West Coast staff, including planning, registration, booking travel, materials, marketing, and invoicing.
- Serves as main point of contact for scheduling meetings, maintaining calendars, and preparing regular activity reports of West Coast-based staff.
- Develops materials and implements strategies to promote AFJ workshops, events, publications, and other resources, including drafting communications such as blast e-mails and social media posts to expand the audience for our workshops, events, publications, and other resources.
- Assists with individual donor research and grant tracking and management in collaboration with Washington, DC-based Development team.
- Assists Justice program, Development, Outreach and Communications staff, as needed.
- Responds to external inquiries, manages phones, and processes mail.
- Orders and maintains office supplies and arranges for office equipment maintenance.
- Creates and maintains filing systems.
- Maintains computer, copier, network and phone systems, working with outside IT support, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by or in coordination with the Bolder Advocacy Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- BA or BS degree plus experience in administrative and/or program support position, preferably as an Executive Assistant, Program Assistant, Administrative Assistant, or related position.
- Commitment to social justice, civil rights, and public interest issues.
- Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to pay attention to detail, manage competing priorities, work independently, manage time efficiently, handle multiple tasks, prioritize projects, keep records, meet deadlines, solve problems, and produce a high quality work product, follow-up on requests from external groups, and routinely update Bolder Advocacy attorneys and program staff on work progress.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of software, particularly Microsoft Office and Google Drive (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), as well as social media skills.
- Strong background in event planning and logistics.
- Ability to collaborate with a team and provide insight about providing tools to nonprofits and foundations.
- A strong understanding of database programs and content management systems.
- Comfortable with numbers, designing graphs/charts.
- Comfortable with on-the-job learning /self-teaching.
- Superior verbal and written communications skills.
- Succeeds in a collaborative environment, able to work with remote office staff.
- Brings a great attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, patience, and a sense of humor to the workplace.
Preferred but not required:
- Nonprofit and/or public interest organization experience.
- Spanish or other relevant non-English language skills.
- Experience with managing budgets, grants, and invoicing.
- Experience managing interns or working with volunteers.
- Knowledge of Salesforce and Salsa is preferred. Familiarity with Qualtrics or other advanced survey software.
- Basic HTML experience.
Salary range is $40,000-50,000, commensurate with experience. Position includes health and other benefits.
Apply online by submitting the online application form, resume, and cover letter. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Alliance for Justice is an equal opportunity employer.