AFJ’s Bolder Advocacy program advances the role of nonprofits in influencing public policy by helping organizations fully understand the legal rules governing advocacy activities and become assertive in their right to pursue their policy goals. By fighting for the rights of nonprofits and foundations to conduct advocacy, helping groups learn new advocacy skills and understand advocacy best practices, and responding to potential threats to nonprofit advocacy, we lay the groundwork for more nonprofit organizations to advocate effectively on behalf of their communities.
With deep advocacy experience and outstanding writing and communications skills, the Senior Advocacy Writer will develop, research, and write smart and sophisticated content about advocacy at every level (local, state, and national) for AFJ’s audience of advocates and those interested in conducting, funding, or tracking advocacy across the country. Content could include important advocacy wins and losses, new campaigns, new advocacy techniques and technologies, developments within particular advocacy communities, AFJ advocacy work, and advocacy personalities.
The individual filling this position is a highly skilled and creative generator of sophisticated content that will appear on a variety of Alliance for Justice platforms including digital newsletters, websites, and blogs as well as serve as the focus of regular live and web events/panels for a broad audience. The position will also assist the Bolder Advocacy team with the writing and production of publications on the rules and conduct of advocacy.
The position reports to the Bolder Advocacy Director in Washington, D.C.
- Research, write, and edit web content, electronic newsletters, blogs, and other periodic electronic communications and events aimed at audiences within the nonprofit and foundation communities. Responsible for a series of periodic newsletters tailored for specialized advocacy communities.
- Network with and reach out to a wide diversity of advocacy groups and communities (i.e. immigrant rights, LGBT equality, reproductive rights, economic justice) and at a variety of levels (state, local, and national). Conduct research and interviews with individuals and organizations engaged in nonprofit or foundation advocacy in order to generate content for the Bolder Advocacy website, social media outlets, e-newsletters, and events.
- Share research and writing duties with the Online Communication Manager responsible for the Bolder Advocacy website (www.BolderAdvocacy.org). Cross-post content to website as appropriate.
- Develop content on advocacy best practices and other topical issues related to advocacy for release on multiple platforms from the web to live and virtual events/panels. Convene advocacy leaders and experts for events/panels on critical subjects, recent wins, etc. Market those events/panels to a national audience.
- Conceptualize, research, write, and edit content for Bolder Advocacy online advocacy and policy campaigns.
- Help to build and maintain growing email lists for all Bolder Advocacy newsletter and social media audiences through the development of compelling content.
- Maintain close cooperative relationships with AFJ’s justice programs, outreach, communications, and development staff.
- Actively monitor traditional and digital media concerning issues related to nonprofit advocacy and other issues of concern to AFJ’s Bolder Advocacy initiative.
- Provide writing and editing assistance for all Bolder Advocacy publications and electronic communications.
- Help coordinate Bolder Advocacy publication development, design, editorial services, and printing.
- Coordinate newsletter and other e-mail-based communications with other AFJ staff.
- Keep current with social media and online communications trends and best practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 5 – 10 years of experience in advocacy, political, or related work.
- Extremely strong writing, editing, and overall communications skills as well as attention to detail. (Writing samples and/or writing tests will be required for this position.)
- Creative, innovative, thoughtful, and intuitive; able to understand trends and spot new developments.
- Outstanding networking and information gathering skills.
- Good understanding of and experience with new media, social media, social networking, and online communications and advocacy techniques.
- Significant knowledge and understanding of issues within the purview of Alliance for Justice and its Bolder Advocacy initiative, including nonprofit advocacy, and a strong understanding of the existing political and legal environment.
- Proven writing expertise, including writing for the Web and electronic communications vehicles.
- Sensitivity to visual design, both in print and electronic media. Experience with Photoshop and graphic design encouraged but not required.
- Proven time and project management skills. Strong ability to organize, prioritize and coordinate tasks in a flexible manner to address changing needs. Ability to work effectively in a team environment and a willingness to occasionally take on tasks outside the purview of the job description.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample by clicking below.
Alliance for Justice is an equal opportunity employer.