AFJ’s Bolder Advocacy Initiative promotes active engagement in the democratic process by giving nonprofits and foundations the confidence to advocate effectively and by protecting their right to do so.
The Project Manager is responsible for developing and implementing Alliance for Justice’s programs in Southern California. The Project Manager will work primarily on AFJ’s Bolder Advocacy Initiative. The Project Manager will be part of a team of skilled advocates and attorneys who provide nonprofits and foundations with the knowledge they need to become confident advocates, and with the resources and tools to help them navigate complex advocacy rules and regulations.
This position is based in Los Angeles County. The Project Manager will report directly to and is supervised by the West Coast Director and is under the general supervision of the Bolder Advocacy Director.
Duties & Responsibilitie:
- Establish goals and objectives for the implementation of all aspects of AFJ’s programs in Southern California, in collaboration with the West Coast Director and Bolder Advocacy Director.
- Build the capacity of nonprofit and foundation allies to advocate for policy and systems change by making presentations and providing technical assistance on nonprofit and foundation advocacy, in collaboration with Bolder Advocacy team.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with organizations, individuals and foundations that serve low income communities and communities of color in Southern California and are either engaged in policy advocacy or would like to do so.
- Organize and conduct live and web-based workshops and trainings for nonprofit and foundation advocates in Southern California, including logistics.
- Initiate contacts with nonprofit organizations engaged in advocacy as well as donors and foundations engaged in funding advocacy.
- Represent Alliance for Justice professionally in meetings, public events, trainings, and in coalitions with local nonprofits, foundations, allies and the public.
- Report regularly on progress to the organization including updates, analysis of the project’s impact on the community, and recommendations for the short and long-term growth of the project.
- Coordinate and manage fundraising efforts in Southern California with the development staff.
- Write, edit and review materials including fact sheets on legal topics, short blog posts, and reports to funders, AFJ’s Board of Directors, and others.
- Other duties as assigned by the West Coast Director and Bolder Advocacy Director.
- Law degree and bar membership (California or any other state). If not currently licensed in California, must be willing to sit for the bar exam within one year.
- Experience making presentations, conducting trainings, or providing technical support to adults.
- At least 3 years’ experience in the planning and implementation of advocacy campaigns, which includes organizing, working in coalitions, and planning events.
- Familiarity with progressive advocacy community in Southern California.Strong interpersonal skills (one-on-one and in a group format), cultural competency, strong listening skills, patience, and humor. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Highly organized and detail oriented. Ability to work independently with long-distance supervision.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed and travel as necessary.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice advocacy.
- Capacity to inspire others to engage in policy advocacy.
- Strong collaborator, able to adapt quickly to changing situations.
- Experience working in diverse, urban communities, and with low income communities.
- Spanish or other relevant language proficiency.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Alliance for Justice is an equal opportunity employer.