The Alliance for Justice is seeking law school student applicants for Summer 2019 law clerk positions. Law clerks are expected to work full time over the course of a ten week period. Clerks would work on our Judicial Selection Project and our Supreme Court campaign.
Alliance for Justice vets nominees to the federal judiciary. AFJ conducts extensive research on nominees’ records, including issues related to protections for workers, consumers and the environment and critical rights for women, communities of color, LGBTQ Americans, immigrants and persons with disabilities. AFJ educates Hill offices, the public and the press to fight so that only fair, qualified individuals committed to social justice are confirmed.
Through our Supreme Court campaign, Alliance for Justice analyzes Supreme Court decisions that benefit powerful corporate interests at the expense of all Americans. Under the leadership of Chief Justice John Roberts, the Court has radically interpreted laws to shield big business from liability, insulate corporate interests from environmental and antitrust regulation, and make it easier for companies to discriminate.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Monitor federal judicial nominations;
- Conduct comprehensive research analyzing nominees’ records and assist in drafting reports for the press, the public, and the Senate;
- Monitor Senate Judiciary Committee hearings, executive committee sessions, and votes;
- Monitor, analyze, and write about Supreme Court and lower federal court cases;
- Conduct research and analysis related to a broad array of public interest law issues;
- Work with Communications and Development teams to draft press releases, blog posts, and web content;
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Current law student;
- Excellent research, writing, and oral communications skills;
- Ability to analyze and clearly explain concepts of law and public policy;
- An interest in federal law and the federal judiciary;
- Experience in advocacy and/or political work;
- A demonstrated commitment to the public interest.
Application Deadline: We will review applications on a rolling basis, but please apply no later than February 1, 2019. Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, transcript, and a list of references online by clicking the “Apply for this position” tab below. Alternatively, applications may also be submitted via email to [email protected].
AFJ is an equal opportunity employer.