AFJ’s Bolder Advocacy program advances the role of nonprofits in influencing public policy by helping organizations fully understand the legal rules governing advocacy activities, as well as how to assess and evaluate advocacy. By fighting for the rights of nonprofits and foundations to conduct and support advocacy, helping groups learn new advocacy skills and understand advocacy best practices, and responding to potential threats to nonprofit advocacy, we lay the groundwork for more organizations to advocate effectively on behalf of their communities. In addition, Bolder Advocacy works to build the capacity of the philanthropic sector to bring about change by influencing public policy.
The Advocacy Evaluation Manager will use their understanding of advocacy and of organizational capacity building to maintain and grow Bolder Advocacy’s national leadership in educating and providing capacity assessment and other tools for nonprofits, funders, and evaluators to help them measure and strengthen organizational advocacy and community organizing. The manager will also contribute to AFJ’s efforts to build its own capacity for evaluation. The candidate should be highly motivated, creative, and entrepreneurial. The position is based in the Washington, DC office and will report to the Director of Bolder Advocacy. They will work closely with all BA staff, including those in the California and Texas offices, as well as the Development Team.
- Manage and improve the use of BA’s advocacy and community organizing capacity assessment tools and related resources. This includes data collection, helping users aggregate results, updating and developing new tools as necessary, and facilitating the translation of results as necessary.
- Provide trainings and technical assistance and create publications and other educational resources to enable nonprofits, funders, and evaluators to better assess and strengthen their organization’s advocacy and community organizing
- Conceptualize, develop, and implement new ideas for assessing the impact of advocacy work.
- Communicate and promote BA’s advocacy evaluation work through social media, the BA website, meetings, and other
- Develop and manage research projects on advocacy capacity assessment, evaluation, and strengthening.
- Lead outreach efforts, develop and maintain relationships, and provide leadership with foundations, evaluators, and nonprofit organizations interested in advocacy assessment and
- Keep up to date on information and trends about advocacy and community organizing and
- Assist in raising funds for BA’s capacity assessment and strengthening
- Assist AFJ in evaluating its own work.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and 5-7 years of experience in nonprofit, foundation, evaluation, or related fields.
- Experience and interest in organizational learning and strengthening and an understanding of advocacy
- Strong background in, and understanding of, advocacy and/or community
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, to manage multiple tasks and shifting priorities, and meet
- Strong and proven public
- Highly organized and detail
- Excellent communications and writing
- Ability to travel as needed (20%).
- Commitment to social justice
$70,000 – $80,000
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Applications (resume and cover letter) may be submitted via email to [email protected] or by completing the form linked below. Please include the job title in the subject line of the email.
Alliance for Justice is an equal opportunity employer.