For over 40 years, AFJ’s strength has been rooted in our membership of over 130 organizations, diverse in mission but united in their commitment to advancing justice and democracy.
The Deputy Director of Outreach manages AFJ/AFJ Action Campaign’s strategies and implementation of initiatives to deepen and expand engagement of AFJ’s core constituencies of progressive organizations, AFJ member organizations, national and state advocates, and legal communities across the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead strategies to engage AFJ/AFJ Action’s networks of national and state progressive organizations, legal communities, and advocates to increase awareness of the courts and mobilize around nominations and policy priorities, helping to ensure partner and member needs are met with strategic use of resources;
- Work with Director of Outreach to envision a comprehensive strategy to expand and engage state networks in AFJ/AFJ Action’s courts and advocacy work, including managing funding and partnership relationships, devising tailored state plans to move decision-makers;
- Responsible for staff, including but not limited to managing Outreach Associate(s)/Senior Outreach Associate(s) and Outreach interns, hiring and ensuring staff is empowered and supported in meeting team and organizational goals as well as growing in their responsibilities and maximizing professional development;
- Work with Justice, Communications, and Bolder Advocacy teams to develop materials such as advocacy toolkits and resources to support partners’ engagement in AFJ/AFJ Action’s work;
- Collaborate with Membership Director to ensure AFJ member organizations are integrated into AFJ/AFJ Action programmatic engagement and identify new resources to provide to members;
- Assist in representing and expanding AFJ/AFJ Action’s presence in coalitions engaged on judicial nominations, democracy, and social justice issues;
- Increase reach of Justice and Bolder Advocacy research, publications, and resources by strengthening partnerships in the national progressive movement and with advocacy communities across the country;
- Help develop strategy and organize, working across the Outreach, Communications, Justice, and Bolder Advocacy teams, public education and advocacy events to advance AFJ/AFJ Action priorities;
- Facilitate planning and advocacy initiatives with internal department teams and external coalition and movement partners;
- Represent AFJ/AFJ Action at coalition meetings, events, conferences, and speaking engagements;
- Participate in work to increase AFJ’s racial equity capacities internally and as embodied in AFJ’s member organization program and partnerships;
- Work across departments to assist with outreach for additional organization priorities as necessary; and
- Perform other duties and assist other departments as required.
- 5-7+ years’ experience with increasing responsibilities in advocacy/legislative campaign, community, or electoral outreach;
- Experience leading outreach, advocacy, and/or organizing initiatives or campaigns, including those that prioritize organizational partner and coalition engagement;
- Staff management experience, including hiring, supervising and supporting staff to achieve outcome-oriented results, strong delegation skills, and supporting professional development;
- Demonstrated experience managing relationships and communicating with a variety of stakeholder organizations and individuals to engage and motivate to action in short- and long-term partnerships, including underrepresented constituencies and organizations;
- Experience working within partnerships between state and national organizations preferred;
- Innovative with a proven ability to drive new initiatives from idea to implementation;
- Collaborative approach to internal and external partnerships with experience convening numerous stakeholders to drive progress on joint priorities;
- Experience working on issues related to social justice and familiarity with progressive causes;
- Demonstrated commitment to centering underrepresented and diverse constituencies, such as communities of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ communities, and others;
- Experience in a variety of nonprofit structures preferred, including an understanding of both 501(c)(3) and (c)(4)/political programs;
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
This position currently supervises one Senior Outreach Associate and semester/summer Outreach interns.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range is $85,000-$110,000 commensurate with experience. AFJ also offers a comprehensive and generous benefits program:
Health – We offer medical, dental, vision benefits, as well an employee assistance program for physical and mental well-being.
Savings – Save for retirement with our 401K plan with employer matching. Health savings account and flexible spending account. Other insurances include life and disability.
Time – We have a generous paid time off policy.
Family – We provide 12 weeks of parental leave and a range of paid and unpaid family leave programs that allow our employees to bond with and care for their children and other dependents.
Our employees share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Washington, D.C. – Currently working remotely
General office working conditions, the noise level in the office is usually quiet. This is a full-time position. Some evening/weekend hours and travel may be required when needed.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants please reference Deputy Director of Outreach in your subject line and submit a letter of interest, resume and writing sample to Director of Administration, Alicia Peyton at [email protected]. (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE)
AFJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AFJ prohibits discrimination against its employees and applicants for employment based on race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, sero-status and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or income.
This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all-inclusive. The incumbent in this positiThis description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all-inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.