Alliance for Justice (AFJ) is a national association of over 130 organizations, representing a broad array of groups committed to progressive values and the creation of an equitable, just, and free society. For over 40 years we have been leaders in the fight for a more equitable society on behalf of a broad constituency of civil and women’s rights, environmental, consumer, LGBTQIA+, children’s, senior citizens’ and other groups. Alliance for Justice is premised on the belief that all Americans have the right to secure justice in the courts and to have their voices heard when government makes decisions that affect their lives.
AFJ’s Development Associate is responsible for providing support to the Director of Foundation Relations and the Director of Individual Giving. The Development Associate will report directly to the Director of Foundation Relations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain EveryAction (EA) database ensuring accurate and up to date reports that provide:
- a calendar of all development activities including foundation deadlines, letters of inquiry, applications, proposals, acknowledgement letters, grant statements, communications, future activities, and reports
- briefing documents on foundations and individuals, including philanthropy news and trends relating to prospects and current donors
- Provide EA and Salesforce reports on Bolder Advocacy activities as required by proposals, grant reports and prospecting needs
- Work closely with the Director of Finance to generate actualized budgets for grant reports, proposed budgets for proposals
- Research and prepare briefing memos on foundations, donor advised funds, and individuals and upload to EA
- Draft and send gift acknowledgment letters and upload to EA
- Oversee processing and routing of foundation grant agreements and contracts including following up when there are unexpected delays
- Assist the Director of Foundation Relations with drafting foundation proposals and grant reports including supplementary materials
- Serve as secondary support for foundation contacts
- Assist Director of Individual Giving with fundraising events including annual luncheon, gala, and other events as needed
- Work with Development Team management and AFJ President to schedule internal and external fundraising meetings and calls
- Prepare meeting materials, including briefing documents, relevant articles, donor packets
- Additional tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience and interest in development, preferably with a nonprofit organization
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Excel
- Comfortable working with database software programs such as DonorPerfect, EveryAction, and/or Salesforce
- Strong written communication skills
- Outstanding attention to detail and deadlines
- Resourcefulness and ability to think independently
- Ability to take ownership of a process and use problem-solving skills to resolve issues
- Strong professionalism with the ability to function efficiently in a busy, fast paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision.
Alliance for Justice provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Our employees share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do, and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and other office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Currently working remotely.
AFJ’s non-management staff members are unionized under the Baltimore-Washington Newspaper Guild.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Salary range is $45,000-50,000. Position includes health and other benefits.
Qualified applicants please reference Development Associate in your subject line and submit a letter of interest, resume and writing sample to [email protected] (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE).