The Executive Assistant is a member of the executive team, providing personal administrative support and assistance to both AFJ’s President and Vice President for Program and Operations in a fast-paced nonprofit environment. Reporting to the President and VP, this position plays a key role in managing workflow and board communications, scheduling meetings and coordinating calendars, and sharing internal information to ensure efficiency among staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage both executives’ calendars, including scheduling meetings, organizing travel, and preparing travel itineraries for President and VP;
- Answer incoming calls for President from the media, donors, board members, and member organizations;
- Prepare and edit materials for meetings;
- Organize and track files and correspondence;
- Work closely with the President, Vice President, and Board of Directors Chair to plan and schedule Board and committee meetings and prepare briefing materials and meeting minutes;
- Work with the Development Department on donor research and event planning;
- Support Vice President on membership and outreach; and
- Perform other duties and assist other departments as required.
- BA degree or equivalent work experience;
- 2 to 3+ years’ experience in an office setting (preferably nonprofit);
- Strong tech skills including Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint, and Word;
- Ability to multitask, handle multiple projects, prioritize and meet deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communications skills;
- Meticulous attention to detail and quality of work product;
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Ability to anticipate needs, foresee outcomes, and act upon requests independently;
- Flexibility, patience, and sense of humor;
- Interest in law and social justice issues;
- Event and travel-planning experience; and
- Familiarity with Salsa databases a plus.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and other office equipment.
Our employees share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is an non-exempt full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with occasional overtime and two overnight trips a year for board meetings.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
$45,000. Position includes health insurance and other benefits.
Please submit a cover letter outlining your qualifications, a writing sample, and a resume to [email protected] with the subject line, “Executive Assistant Position.” You can also click here to apply online.
AFJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AFJ prohibits discrimination against its employees and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, sero-status and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program.”