|Reports to:||Vice President of Strategy|
|FLSA Status:||Exempt Position|
The Deputy Director of Outreach and Membership manages AFJ/AFJ Action Campaign’s strategies and implementation of initiatives to deepen and expand engagement of AFJ’s/AFJ Action’s core constituencies of progressive organizations, AFJ member organizations, national and state advocates, and legal communities across the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead strategies to engage AFJ/AFJ Action’s networks of national and state progressive organizations, member organizations, legal communities, and advocates to increase awareness of the courts and mobilize around nominations and policy priorities, helping to ensure partner and member needs are met with strategic use of resources;
- Work with Director of Outreach/VP of Strategy to set priorities for expansion of membership and member programs, leading recruitment and supporting program staff in cultivating potential members;
- Work with Director of Outreach/VP of Strategy to envision a comprehensive strategy to expand and engage state networks in AFJ/AFJ Action’s courts and advocacy work, including managing funding and partnership relationships, devising tailored state plans to move decision-makers;
- ensuring staff is empowered and supported in meeting team and organizational goals as well as growing in their responsibilities and maximizing professional development;
- Collaborate across AFJ/AFJ Action teams to proactively integrate member organizations into Justice, Bolder Advocacy, Outreach, Communications, and Development programs, advocacy and events;
- Working with Development and Outreach staff, oversee annual member dues renewal and benefits program, including evaluating current and launching new member services;
- Assist in representing and expanding AFJ/AFJ Action’s presence and reach of resources with coalitions engaged on judicial nominations, democracy, and social justice issues;
- Help develop strategy and organize, working across the Outreach, Communications, Justice, and Bolder Advocacy teams, public education and advocacy events to advance AFJ/AFJ Action priorities;
- Represent AFJ/AFJ Action at coalition meetings, events, conferences, and speaking engagements;
- Participate in work to increase AFJ’s racial equity capacities internally and as embodied in AFJ’s member organization program and partnerships;
- Work across departments to assist with outreach for additional organization priorities as necessary; and
- Perform other duties and assist other departments as required.
- 5-7+ years’ experience with increasing responsibilities in advocacy/legislative campaign, community, or electoral outreach;
- Experience leading outreach, advocacy, and/or membership initiatives or campaigns, including those that prioritize organizational partner and coalition engagement;
- Staff management experience, including hiring, supervising and supporting staff to achieve outcome-oriented results, strong delegation skills, and supporting professional development;
- Demonstrated experience managing relationships and communicating with a variety of stakeholder organizations and individuals to engage and motivate to joint action in short- and long-term partnerships, including underrepresented constituencies and organizations;
- Experience working within partnerships between state and national organizations preferred;
- Innovative with a proven ability to drive new initiatives from idea to implementation;
- Strong writing and communications skills with experience crafting compelling pitches such as organizing/recruitment or development materials;
- Ability to develop systems and manage large amounts of data, with familiarity with CRMs such as Every Action, Salsa, VAN or similar preferred;
- Experience working on issues related to social justice and familiarity with progressive causes;
- Demonstrated commitment to centering underrepresented and diverse constituencies, such as communities of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ communities, and others;
- Experience in a variety of nonprofit structures preferred, including an understanding of both 501(c)(3) and (c)(4)/political programs;
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
This position currently supervises two Senior Outreach Associates and semester/summer Outreach interns.
Salary and benefits
The salary range is $95,000-$125,000 commensurate with experience. AFJ also offers a comprehensive and generous benefits program:
Health – We offer medical, dental, vision benefits, as well an employee assistance program for physical and mental well-being.
Savings – Save for retirement with our 401K plan with employer matching. Health savings account and flexible spending account. Other insurances include life and disability.
Time – We have a generous paid time off policy.
Family -We provide up to 12 weeks paid leave.
Our employees share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
General office working conditions, the noise level in the office is usually quiet. This is a full-time position. Some evening/weekend hours and travel may be required when needed.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants please reference Deputy Director of Outreach and Membership in your subject line and submit a cover letter and resume to Director of Administration, Alicia Peyton at email@example.com. (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE)
AFJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AFJ prohibits discrimination against its employees and applicants for employment based on race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, sero-status and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or income.
This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all-inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.