|Reports to:||Vice President Institutional Advancement|
The Manager of Development Operations is responsible for overseeing the development department’s operations and processes for Alliance for Justice (c3) and AFJ Action (c4).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with the VP of Institutional Advancement to support a process to manage fundraising moves management for foundation, individual, and membership revenue streams.
- Oversees the creation of weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports on progress to goals to inform the VP, finance department, executive office, and the board of directors, and ad hoc reports as needed by leadership on donors and prospects including historical giving data.
- Develops and maintains a process for reviewing and moving grant agreements or other contracts that come through Development through to execution by leadership.
- Provides oversight to ensure timely and accurate gift processing and acknowledgement, financial tracking and projections, and compliance issues. The manager leads this work via the organizations’ CRM system: EveryAction (EA), and related IT infrastructure, and is also proactive in identifying and championing tech solutions that support the department’s fundraising goals.
- Collaborates with AFJ’s database manager and the administrative and finance departments for accurate and timely entry of all charitable gifts and pledges into EA. This includes checks, securities, gifts-in-kind, matching gift contributions, credit card imports and processing, payroll deductions, grants, online giving, donor advised funds (DAFs), and wired gifts (stocks and cash).
- Leads collaboration with other departments to maintain data harmony across multiple systems.
Provides database management and other technical training, as well as works with the VP to coordinate development orientation programming for new staff.
- Under guidance from the database manger collaborates with them to develop and maintains policies and procedures specific to the development department for data entry, audit, and analysis to ensure optimal database organization and data hygiene, as well as policies and procedures for efficient and effective fundraising operations (such as Standard Operating Procedures).
- Helps develop and maintain systems for donor moves management and pipeline building including in the EveryAction CRM.
- In collaboration with the VP and Directors of Foundation Relations and Individual Giving, the Manager will help develop and execute a communications calendar and project manage the drafting and delivery of exceptional, compelling copy and in some cases designed products intended for the donor/funder audience.
- Play a key role in supporting the VP with major and principal donors ($25K+) through research, briefings, funder material and correspondence, and donor movement tracking in EA.
- Help build authentic, meaningful relationships between donors and the organization to serve both the donor’s philanthropic goals and the organizations’ missions.
- Collaborate with the Director of Individual Giving and programmatic staff to build and cultivate opportunities to generate support for core programs: Justice and Bolder Advocacy.
- Help the VP and Director to plan and execute cultivation and stewardship events (in-person and virtual) for donors and prospective donors, as appropriate. This includes staffing the events and possible occasional travel if necessary.
- Help develop and lead implementation of a comprehensive, year-round donor communications and engagement strategy.
- Draft and/or edit correspondence and fundraising material, including funding proposals, impact reports, visually compelling organizational and programmatic overviews, briefing memos, talking points, letters, and emails.
- Four or more years in general development operations and donor relations experience, including but not limited to annual fund, events, database systems management, reporting, and analysis.
- Experience managing a portfolio of donors/donor relations and communications.
- Proficiency in CRMs (i.e. Salesforce, Blackbaud, EveryAction, etc.), Microsoft applications, and AP Style (for editing and writing).
- Commitment to the mission and values of Alliance for Justice.
- Organized, dependable self-starter with a close attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative, sound judgement, confidentiality, and discretion.
- Attention to detail and excellent relationship building, writing/editing, and interpersonal skills.
- A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent in education and/or project management experience.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a union position covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with the Washington-Baltimore News Guild, CWA Local 32035, which includes salary minimums based on job position category. This position is in Group 4 and has a salary minimum of $70,000.
We offer a comprehensive and generous benefits program, including:
We offer medical, dental, vision benefits, as well as an employee assistance program for physical and mental well-being.
Save for retirement with our 401K plan with employer matching. Other insurances include life and disability.
We have a generous paid time off policy.
We provide 12 weeks of parental leave and a range of paid and unpaid family leave programs that allow our employees to bond with and care for their children and other dependents.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer and communicate with others while doing so. On occasions, travel by train and airplane. Ability to work long hours when needed. All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their positions. The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
This is a full-time position that is eligible for a hybrid work schedule (combination of in-person and remote work). General office working conditions, the noise level in the office is usually quiet. Some occasional evening and weekend hours may be required.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities. AFJ’s non-management staff members are unionized with the Washington-Baltimore News Guild, CWA Local 32035 and this position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
Our employees share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do, and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Alliance for Justice provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all-inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants please reference Manager of Development Operations, in your subject line and submit a letter of interest and resume email@example.com (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE).Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.