|Reports to||Director of Finance|
Alliance for Justice (AFJ) is a national association of over 130 organizations, representing a broad array of groups committed to progressive values and the creation of an equitable, just, and free society. AFJ’s Bolder Advocacy program is the nation’s leading resource for foundations and nonprofits who want to engage more actively and knowledgeably in the policymaking process. Bolder Advocacy’s legal experts help organizations move from cautious to courageous across lobbying, election-related activity, ballot measures, grantmaking, and other efforts necessary to change the world.
AFJ is headquartered in Washington, DC, with offices in Northern and Southern California and Texas.
The Staff Accountant keeps accurate records of AFJ financial transactions, monitors delinquent accounts, prepares monthly daily deposit and payment reports, and resolves billing issues. The Staff Accountant will have access to AFJ’s Financial Edge and QuickBooks accounting systems to enter journal entries, reconcile and monitor the general ledgers, accounts receivable, and accounts payable. The Staff Accountant also informs AFJ management, monthly or as needed, on the status of these accounts and helps AFJ comply with GAAP Accounting Standards for allocating revenue and expenses on a timely basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Enter and balance accounts receivable and payable daily;
- Assist with other accounting projects in the office;
- Track deposits made to AFJ’s bank and handle deposit transfers;
- Monitor credit card charges, payment discrepancies, process refunds, returns and miscellaneous charges;
- Maintain an orderly financial filing system;
- Reconcile revenue/expense accounts monthly;
- Track tax payments and compile information for electronic tax filings;
- Prepare invoices for customers as requested from program managers (instructions will be given);
- Prepare batch/check payments and obtain approval for coding and processing from management before sending them to vendors;
- Maintain and update general ledger and sales journal;
- Ensure proper coding for grants
- Prepare, fulfill and distribute checks;
- Request and process W-9 forms from new vendors;
- Prepare wire transfer requests for management;
- Scan, file and log accounting documents;
- Perform other accounting duties as requested or assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance required and 2-3 years of accounting experience;
- Grant Accounting experience
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, Financial Edge, and Quickbooks
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations accurately, including percentages, fractions, decimals, and simple mathematical formulas;
- Attention to detail and the ability to organize complex information neatly and accurately;
- Ability to compose original correspondence, write reports, have effective interaction with staff and to communicate ideas and receive and process information from others;
- Ability to maintain the integrity of the financial data of AFJ;
- Ability to talk to express and exchange ideas by means of the spoken word, and to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to clients and others accurately and quickly;
- Ability to adhere to attendance and tardiness policies.
Compensation and Benefits
We are committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce through equity initiatives, which includes equitable pay practices. Competitive compensation is commensurate with experience. Starting salary range for this position is $60,000-$75,000 annually.
We offer a comprehensive and generous benefits program, including:
We offer medical, dental, vision benefits, as well an employee assistance program for physical and mental well-being.
Save for retirement with our 401K plan with employer matching. Other insurances include life and disability.
We have a generous paid time off policy.
We provide a range of paid and unpaid family leave programs that allow our employees to bond with and care for their children and other dependents.
This job operates in high-pressured, fast-paced working environment with significant telephone and personal disruptions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with staff, other departments, and outside organizations. The employee must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. The person in this position will also need to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, and other equipment; and will be constantly required to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine and computer printer.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Our employees share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
How to Apply
To apply, candidates should submit a resume and cover letter describing their interest, skills and experience. Please email your application with “Staff Accountant” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE). Applications are being accepted now and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Alliance for Justice provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all-inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.